Mananabas




While I was browsing my e-mail messages (philurbanlegends@ymail.com), I stumbled upon a private message from one of our readers - Grace Batarina. I would like to thank her first for contributing the story.

I already heard rumors about this Mananabas they called, but her version is much different than mine and I never have a knowledge that this monster was plaguing Pangasinan and Baguio

In my own version (the story I heard), this Mananabas is acting like the cult I already featured here - taking one of your slippers you left outside the house. The next evening, he will knock on your door and kills the owner through beheading. Much worse, not only you but also your whole family.




What is a Mananabas? (Pangasinan)



Mananabas is a Tagalog word more often used to refer to people cutting rice or the like during harvest. So obviously they use the tool called sickle. The same tool the said killer is using in murdering whoever he like to. He is much synonymous to the Grim Ripper but his tool is scythe.

In this urban legend, the Mananabas is named, and possibly a real person whose story spread and evolved into a much scary and detailed act of killing. I remember Warlito Toledo in this.

Who is the Mananabas



Back in January of 2002 , according to a local news paper, the name of the killer is Pefecto Rivera Picardal. He is about 26 to 30 years old from Payukpok, Bauang, La Union. He was the suspect in killing his four wives. The first victim was from Ilocos Sur, and the last one was killed on October 21, 2001 whose name is Arceli Oliveros Catabay, a resident of Barangay San Jose, Bani.

He was also pointed suspect in killing Rodolfo and Consuelo Arellano in December 13, 2001. The main reason of killing is his jealousy over his wife Catabay. There could have been an affair between Rodolfo and Arceli.

But the rumor didn't end up in identifying the Mananabas of Pangasinan. There's another one roaming over Baguio. This is a different story though, and a different individual with another version of gossip.




Who is the Mananabas? (Benguet)



According to another story, the Mananabas of Baguio is an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who murdered his entire family not with a sickle, but of a Bolo. The same reason why Picardal killed his wives - infidelity. It was said that after beheading his partner, he placed the mutilated head on a kaldero (pot). In addition to his story, he was said to roam the night and preys on female victims while carrying the head of his wife.

His version is a lot more an urban legend than that of Picardal. Well aside of being unknown, the way how the tale goes is much unreal especially when they added fantasy on it.

This version is almost similar to the one I know, but he didn't steal slippers of his victims. He chants a spell on the foot ware inducing the owner to come out of the house and kill her instantly. That's the reason why his victims are always found in front of their houses.

However, no cases recorded involving the Baguio Mananabas, making the story not credible. I would rather believe on the Pangasinan Mananabas, though he didn't killed any one aside of those mentioned in his story. I don't know if Perfecto Picardal was already captured.




Sources:
http://forum.pinoypc.net/index.php?topic=37154.20
http://www.philstar.com/probinsiya/148326/mamumugot-gumagala-sa-pangasinan

Contributor:
Grace Batarina

You may also visit:


Someone in the Backseat
Thank you for not opening the light.
Sto. Nino Academy
A Friend's Hidden Secret

Comments

  1. I found this blog and as I keep on reading your stories here, I can say that I do feel the feeling being as a victim or even as the killer. I don't know how can this be but one thing for sure as I understand, this was all happens with a reason. In real life if you were being hurt for some reason and the person will started to wake up his dark side.

    Thanks for the post. I will read more of your blog because I also have a lot of experiences too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Affiliate Profit Machine is ready -

    Plus, making profit with it is as easy as 1...2...3!

    This is how it works...

    STEP 1. Tell the system which affiliate products you want to promote
    STEP 2. Add PUSH button traffic (it LITERALLY takes 2 minutes)
    STEP 3. See how the affiliate products system explode your list and sell your affiliate products all on it's own!

    Are you ready to make money ONLINE??

    Click here to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this weblog very much, Its a really nice position to read and get info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I wish to say that this article is awesome, this is great written

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really a nice and helpful piece of information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helpful info here. Please stay us updated like this. Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is very appealing, however , it is very important that will mouse click on the connection:

    ReplyDelete
  8. your posts are neatly organized with the information I want, so there are plenty of resources to reference.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Interesting! I was thinking the same thing as you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. I have a lot of interesting ideas. I want you to look at the post I wrote

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an amazing and helpful post. I really really love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a great blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s really a great and helpful piece of information.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to to thank you for this fantastic read!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely loved every little bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’ve got you saved as a favorite to look at new stuff you post…

    ReplyDelete
  17. You completed a number of fine points there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for sharing this type of useful articles to read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great delivery. Solid arguments. Keep up the good effort. Keep on writing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really I appreciate this wonderful post that you have here. Great job Man!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great site and a great topic. I'm amazed to read this. It's excellent. Write more

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like this weblog very much, Its a really nice position to read and get info.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello my loved! I wish to say that this article is awesome, this is great written

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment